Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 30 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
- Steam squash in a large frying pan with a lid over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the squash has broken down.
- Add squash to a blender or food processor and pulse till it forms a thick paste with no large pieces.
- Carefully, wipe out the pan the squash was in and melt the butter in it over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat water to boil macaroni and add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Add the flour to the butter and whisk until combined. Then slowly add the milk, while continuing to whisk. The sauce should thicken in one to two minutes.
- Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook according to package instructions.
- Add the squash puree to the sauce mixture and whisk till fully combined. Turn the heat off, and one handful at a time add the cheese and stir slowly to combine. Then add paprika and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Combine the cooked macaroni and sauce and garnish with thyme to serve.
- Macaroni will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.